Saturday, December 15, 2018

Memorable Decorations {Part 2}


Last time I talked about the memories behind our Christmas decorations, we ended in the front room.  I'd like to now take you over to the family room, where more surprises await.



First of all, let's hop to the south side of the house, where windows offer perfect places to drape some greenery.  And what better addition to the greenery than snowflakes?  Probably about ten years ago, my grandma patiently attempted to teach me how to do a simple chain crochet stitch, which I promptly left to do other, more interesting things.  Well, finally, a few years ago, she gave me the idea to make lace snowflakes for my mom.  I readily agreed, not knowing how tedious it would be to learn new stitches and put them to use.  But I'm quite pleased with how they turned out!



A hop and a skip away, and once again, we've got a homemade gift that the guys made probably six or seven years ago.  Mom wanted stocking hangers, and so her sweet husband once again surprised her with eight shining, gold-painted hangers.  I remember that we all gave them to her—Daddy and us kids—and though I didn't do a thing, they were still partially from me, and that was special.  Though it made my brothers slightly irritated.



And let's just take a moment to admire these stocking handcrafted by my very talented mother, shall we?  Not only are they simply stockings, but cowboy boots!  Yeah, have I mentioned her love for western decor?



Now let's take a step back from the mantle (where we put the village every year until we decided to put it on the piano this year) to examine Kordell's fascination/obsession with lights.  The dude seriously finds a new place to string lights every year. (Let's not forget that one year Birdo strung garland across the room suspended from the ceiling... but that's another story.)

******

Our house is certainly all decked out this year!  How about yours?


5 comments:

  1. Cool decorations, especially those cowboy boot stockings! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those are awesome snowflakes you made! :) I love handmade decorations/gifts!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh yes, my childhood decorations! Although, technically I am still a child, but still! I think my favorite memories were the stockings, village, nativity, mouse, and Santa!! All of them are great memories though!!

    ~Kara

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to ask a question! I'll be sure to reply to your comment!