Saturday, December 8, 2018

Blessings of a Small Church


Having attended the same small church my entire life, I kind of took for granted that all churches are like ours.
Not so, friends.
I've attended many different services over the years, and I must say that ours is my favorite.  Not that I'm totally biased or anything.  Some people hate small churches, some people love them.  There's no right or wrong here as long as the church is teaching God's Word.  But today I'd like to share a few major points about why I love attending a small church.

Less people. Being slightly anthraphobic (look that up if you don't know what it means), this is a big deal for me.  It's much more relaxing the less people there are.

Worship is personal.  Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the large churches I occasionally visit, but there are times that I can't hear myself sing over the worship leaders.  In a small church, it makes the worship experience so much more real for me personally.

Everyone knows everyone by name.  With an average attendance of around 80 people, that kinda happens... XD

One big, happy family, which kinda goes along with the previous point and the future youth group point, buuuut hey, it's definitely worth repeating.

Multiple parents that claim you, especially the ones that teasingly say your mom is selfish for not letting her kids out for adoption to them.

The youth group is like a bunch of siblings, complete with the oldest girl, bossy like a big sister (which may or may not be myself...) that the others may or may not obey, and a variety of other personalities.

Potlucks become nearly competitive.  Not with the food, exactly... but there are those certain dishes that are brought every time, and everyone knows what they are, and they disappear within ten minutes.  But when I say competitive, I mean that afterward, the first two people to the kitchen run the dishwater and basically have a competition to see who get the most silverware dumped in their sink.  And then work to keep ahead of those that take up station rinsing and drying.

Active members take up 2/3 of the congregation.  Seriously, when you think about it, that's a big percentage of the congregation.  If you attend a small church, just take a census of all the teachers, music leaders, and committee members, and there won't be much of the regular congregation left.

******

Well, what do you think?  Can any of you fellow small-church people relate?  And you mega-church attendees: what makes your church special?  I'd love to hear about it!

3 comments:

  1. I can relate, our church family normally averages around 25 people including me family... XD Great post!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to growing up in a small church. They're usually thirsty to forty people in attendance. I know what you mean about the worship being more personal, everyone knowing everyone's names, being really helpful in the kitchen after delicious meals, the feeling that the church is another family, and having multiple patents asking to take some of us home with them. It's such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cracked me up. xD And yes, sooo relatable. Our first church grew from 30 to 100 people while we were there, another 70-120, and the one we're at now is around 50-60 congregants. So yup, pretty small.

    Also... anthraphobic? Fear of people? You're adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to ask a question! I'll be sure to reply to your comment!